2.18.2008

10 days of paintings : day 1


i've been working on one project for months and will for at least another year. the tasks involved are very concrete and defined. even though i am painting and creating art, its not free as it was when i was just painting "art art", or even doing illustration.

so as an exercise to loosen myself up and to prevent stiffness; and to counteract the required daily precision, im going to start each work day with a free form painting like the one above. each painting will be freely painted without drawing first, or planning at all, and without being overly critical and without censorship....like correcting ragged lines or making color fields absolute.

each one is a 7x10" painting with gouache. *gwash* my goal is to upload one each day for ten consecutive days. of course letting my sub-conscious drive means i found myself inside a psychedelic bird jungle today. grrrherhahaha! see you tomorrow.

oh yeah. click it. see? it's real big. you can print it if you are so inclined and by the end of this blog project you'll have a book of 10 by she. yee ha!!

Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

You know I'm saving all of these...and I have the printer to almost do them justice.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome!

watching for 9 more
and
great exercise(!) -- v.cool!

¤ ¤ ¤

/t.

9:45 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

So cool and its just practice??? I have to see a finished work. Very tropical!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

By now I'm guessing you realise I love bright vivid colours so this picture jumps right off the page at me. I have just opened a brand new folder just for these pics and I would love to get them printed up. Thankyou She. That really is very generous of you and kudos for sharing the love. Beautiful.....

4:09 AM  
Blogger h said...

Very nice. Thanks. I'm gonna save em and borrow a friend's big-league printer.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

It never ceases to amaze me how my mind finds it's way to you...
I saw something on the news today that made me think of you-
and for inspiration- I posted it in your honor :)
WithOUT knowing what you were doing over here!!!
hugs :)
The bird is FAB! Love the colors- and adore the artist :)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I think I need to talk to Iamnot about his printer.......

What a great idea for you to give yourself some "exercise" from the other project (tubes are on the way!) and "we" benefit too.

7:07 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I've always liked your art: the cleverness of your composition, your use of colors, and the definition of your lines. For someone like me, who can't draw a straight line with a ruler, what you do seems like magic.

5:56 AM  
Blogger moi said...

This is awesomely gorgemous. Must purchase now (see what you're doing to Moi's shoe fund?)

I do the same "loosening" thing with writing. Only not as well as you do with your painting. Witness: my ill-formed, rambling blob.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Ruela said...

this is very beautiful


good art

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! It's so island-ly. And...this is an exercise? Wow again.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Infinitesimal said...

yeee haaaaw!!



(I HAVE THE FLU)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Kiki said...

WOW. I love your artistic skills. I used to draw a lot when I was a kid, but for some stupid reason I stopped. I can't wait to have my very own book of She Art!

6:02 AM  
Blogger BirdMadGirl said...

I'm totally buying the original of this one!! :)
xoxoxox

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home