11.02.2008

el dia de los muertos party

of all the party preparations, making the altar was my favorite part of the process. the table was so large that the party food was laid out on the shrine which was a great way to have a captive food eating audience discover the tiny vignettes hidden within larger displays. 
when i wanted to get away for a moment to a quiet place i would get in my friend's restored 80's era limo - complete with flat black astroturf with tiny pile for its exterior paint job. when this limo drives by it looks like a black hole going down the street -it reflects no light except for the underglow of green. inside he had rigged up an old laptop to control an elaborate light show with sync'ed playlist and shimmying hula girl. he has taken us on many adventures in this ride.
my RL friends seemed to tolerate Mayden okay. grrrherhahaha. not only was it a treat and joy to have her come, but she was absolutely invaluable in making the party run smoothly. thank you grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl.
here's a wide shot of the altar. our blogger a.b. donated a killer print of one of her brother's paintings to the cause. i made it the central building block of the altar backdrop. Its the image of the skeleton lovers sitting on a couch watching TV.
my best friend wore an orange satin dress with the names of people who had died this year written on paper and pinned to a black scarf. her hat was a marvelous netted and feathered thing. her beloved had boney hands that lit up red on the tips and a mask from Venice.


i set up a little paper cemetery lit with votive candles. a basket of blank gravestones awaited guests to fill with the names of those loved and lost. as you can imagine, many were dedicated to pets or famous people but some were quite poignant like the one to all our fallen soldiers and one that simply said "good-bye, i loved you dearly".

two of my dearest friends in the world dressed as the "two fridas", a painting by frida kahlo the mexican artist i have written about often. we had seen her show together in san francisco since we all adore her work. these two won the costume prize. they spent all day saturday searching out elements and constructing these outfits. its amazing how much they looked like the painting. where did they ever find those amazing rubber human hearts!

it was one of the highlights of the evening to have my friends put that kind of effort in dressing up for my little party. that's love in action. when they walked in i was thinking "who are these chinese ladies coming in"... grrherhahaha i was so blown away when they got close enough for me to see the two fridas! thank you grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrls.i phoned my frida kahlo costume in by pencilling in my unibrow of crow and throwing on a mariachi jacket. but everybody gave me a pass since i had the altar to do. friends are creative AND generous.
this delightful trio of witchy wonders are my partners in dance crime. its too bad the Big Dog had to leave the party to play a gig downtown. he would've loved this girl. she was a great photography subject. this is the only photo of hers i could show. i didnt post a photo of the band because they all look the same. and besides, i didnt have time to take pictures until the end of the party.
today was the clean up and i actually enjoyed it. i got to taste all the things i didnt have time to eat last night, and leave the boys in the band a good stash of leftover mexican beers. amazingly, there was no leftover tequila. ;-)

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

oh, i can outdo a.b. ..
heh. heh ....

;)

ps: it's obvious ya'll had a blast ..
good for you. good for the mayden ..

2:50 AM  
Blogger fishy said...

Great shrine/altar K9. Good post. Looks like creativity runs in your friendships!

4:05 AM  
Blogger moi said...

How. Amazing. You are. I'm going to keep peeking back at the altar photos, scouting things out. I was there in spirit, though, drinking all the tequila :o) Happy, happy!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Hexar AF and a roll of tri-x pushed to 1250 iso...
I'd love to be there to shoot.

You have too much time on your hands.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like
party of the century

( well, so far anyway :)

what can i say -- you are amazing & creative & beautiful (if that's your real head) -- and big greets and hugs to the mayden <3

¤ ¤ ¤

/t.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, what a fa-a-a-bulous party you had! =) Seriously, girl - ROCK ON. and btw - just seeing the pics of the evening? It all explains a lot. lol

Happy November!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I think Moi and I (and Aunty) should make a point of crashing next year. The print looks GOOD - somehow magnified by it's position in an alter. I love the votives and the pumpkin carvings AND your amazing friends... all clearly creative and happy to share time with you. Congrats!!!

When you're back to "normal" send me a picture of your bulletin board... I'm putting together something for later this week. I spent November in L.A.... "mecca" for DofD.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

I'se feelin' yore pain today, Pup. Doan howl. Thangs is gonna work out right--eventually.

AN' I'se DEFINITELY expectin' to crash you DoD party 2009--ho! That'll rock yore regulars. I hope MOI and AB do too--heh.

1:09 PM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

Wow! You sure put Anton LaVey's so-called "legendary" shindigs to shame!

1:37 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

I'd better not comment.

2:39 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

aunty: heh yeah

foamy: we missed you. i think next year i will have an arbor day shindig.

fishy: birds of a feather. thank you!

moi: thats perfect a tequila drinking spirit in leboutins.

iamnot: the digital cameras (in my price range) just cant handle it can they? well its not meant to last anyway.

/t: i knew you had a thing for dangerous women. it cant get more sketchy than a praying mantis grrherhaha.

devon: uh oh am i under analysis?

a.b.: i cant think of anything id like more than yall crashing but youd never have to. chris' painting was the first thing i put up starting the altar. thank you so so much for it. i cant wait for your LA post. it really would be the ideal place for DoD after oaxaca

aunty: youd never have to crash aunty. we take haints of all stripes.

puerileuwaite: do you feel a sharp pain in your side?




how bout now?

grrherhaha im just kidding i dont think they make voodoo pugs. do they?


bbc: youre wiser than i thought!

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good food, good music, good art, and good people. We had a great time.

9:05 PM  
Blogger dianne said...

Wow, that looks like some great party, glad you all had a good time.♥

4:25 AM  
Blogger Big Shamu said...

That party looks off the hook. I LOVE the two fridas. That is a couple of friends with dedication.

6:28 AM  
Blogger h said...

Vote in today's Troll Poll! Since you live in the ATL, it might be the only vote you cast that doesn't wind up in the trash-bin.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

This was the best party I've ever been to- thank you for letting me be a part of it :)
Hugs friend- as I see you sitting across the room from me right now! ;) lol!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Infinitesimal said...

i love you so much it makes me want to cry. you are like a hero to me, you inspire me. HOW do you make time for all of these activities?

a real hero, of creative muse and level headed insight.

thanks for all of your good advice. you have been right even when i did not listen.

your best friend looks like an AMAZING best friend.

My favorite photo was of the cemetary, but every single one of the photos made me happy inside. Thanks for sharing your holiday with me.

Usually I like to dress up and go out, but this year was particularly shitty, and I did not even try, well, we took the kids to the zoo, i was a kitty with black leather and a rhinestone collar, but then boyfriend started to get pissed at me for begging off and asking to go early because i was feeling really weak and strange.

i ended up in the emergency room about 5 hours later. I had to take a cab.

So thanks for sharing and I am going to try to summon some confabulation and substitute your most excellent party in my mind as my own memory of where I was as opposed to puking and getting an IV put in.

I got your neck email and am trying to respond.

Girl, I am taking my life back.

Thanks for keeping in topuch, making something special for the 27th

there is a painting in my head, but oil is my medium so even if i pounded it out in one night (as is the norm for me) it would not be shippable this month.

Anywhoo, a luxury to sit at computer for a few and so I came to visit you here.

when the $$ rolls in, I will scoop you up and we will do N.Y. can't wait.

thanks for telling about your party. ATL sounds like a fun place. Do you ever watch the real housewives of atlanta? is it like a dirty secret sorta like ANTM?

love ya

11:08 AM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

I'm crashing next year with Aunty and Moi!

1:00 PM  
Blogger moi said...

Cool! It's an Official Party Crash! Dang it. That's a long way off . . .

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now THIS is my idea of a party... very heathen looking... what it Salvador Dali doing in that limo? Mayden! haven't seen or heard from her in ages... what a cool idea...

I saw authentic skeleton masks over the weekend - at Epcot!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Ruela said...

cool party ;)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

helluva party there!

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry i missed it.
best friend in orange satin has best neck on display.....would have sucked her dry.

fishnetwoman is vaguely cheesewomanish.

is she you?

or is she she?

l
a

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home