9.23.2009

the History of K9: Part 2; K9 and the Ladies



at "the possibility of fire" blog, where the dogfight began, i met who was to be my greatest advocate and blog mentor; vanille. * please see vanille's comments on the history of K9 part one below. she is the last two* she was alternately harsh and tender to the dog, administering sharp raps to the hip (see above drawing) with a rolled paper now and then. In one of our early dogfights she wrote that if i wasnt so boneheaded, she would "do me". and i replied that i would "rather dry hump my plush ottoman". i think this really sealed our friendship as this line launched her royal title "Contessa Vanilla Bitch of the Ottoman Empire" and a million jokes between us that followed.

I was very fond of all the women i met at POF and many of them migrated to my newly minted blog, sparringk9. Our first big argument was over the anti-abortion rap i wrote "Are You For Eighty-Six?". It must have seemed odd this presumably male dog making the case for something that did not affect him directly. but over the months they came to accept the dog even though he seemed a right wing nut to them. I liked to fuss over the ladies with drawings and little "rapperys" in their comment boxes. here's how i imagined some of them:


Aunty Belle with a glass of iced tea, and a portrait of her husband, uncle A, the poark rind magnate

i did a few drawings for "bird"; as the teacher, and writing for her blog:


flap and swoosh warping on with the little birdies


boyed up late writing erotica

then there was this for the one we know as the bipolar faery "one part daffodil and one part cold fury. mix well. stand back." it was a difficult road for the faery and K9 and it still has fits and spurts, but somehow we have maintained a friendship through it all.

I came to realize that to talk to them in the way i wanted to, i really needed to be happy in a relationship and not appear to be out on the blogs horn-doggin' around. there would be the occasional double-entendre (which can be found in my archived posts comment boxes if you are bored out of your mind and want to read) and flirty talk, but for the most part K9 was sweet and supportive of the ladies while maintaining a gruff attitude towards some of the males.

So i created the cool analytical Freya to be the counterpoint to K9. She was the perfect girlfriend: the light to his dark the reserved to his hotheadedness. Freya was a Dutch white wolf, who wrote in a hybrid of broken english and dutch and wrote on existential matters with black and white photochoppys to illustrate them.

This is what Freya's art was: always black and white and always laced in melancholy. This piece was titled: "ik ben verse besnoeiing!" translation: I am Fresh Cut!

I think with Freya, i had a glimpse into what blogging could be artistically -as a living and interactive art piece. I think this story, Freya Lecht and Dark, is the best thing i have ever written. she was a lot of work; i was spending lots of time on alta vista translators and working to stay in character. Freya had blog loves of her own; they were Bogshond and Mister Q and Ben.

The first blogger i ever met in the real was mister Q. He was a favorite of ALL the women, not just Freya. and, he was a good friend to K9. So we picked a place and time to meet. I knew what he looked like, but he did not know what I looked like -unless he was looking for a rottweiler. I watched him come in the door and sit at the bar. He was looking hard at all the guys and i could tell he was wondering "which one is K9?" I had these business cards made up with K9's photo and my blog address on them, and i slid one across the bar to him. The look on his face was priceless. He was so not expecting me. So i know that he too thought i was a man, although he told me he thought i was going to turn out to be a "proud redneck biker type". He told me that it was a complete bushwhack and that it didnt happen to him very often.

After it was revealed that K9 was a female, i think it was Foamy who wrote what was to be a great compliment and astute observation. She said that it all made sense that K9 was a woman because of all the time "he" spent encouraging her to build a studio space for herself; the time he put in on poetry and drawings. she said it was unlikely a real man would invest that much effort when there was no chance of "return" grrrehahaha. do i have that right foam?

not entirely true though. /t is known for his artistic generosity. and he really IS a male. grrhahehaha

next on the History of K9: Part 3: the Poetry duel

Labels: , , , ,

34 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

First, "Freya's" Blog is filled with pretty cool art.

Second, you're a little scary.

Thrid, I'm so glad you're my friend.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

P.S. When we had our Squirrel Wars of last summer, that's when I realized blogging could be an interactive art piece, or maybe in that case, improve. Whatever it was, I remember feeling my world had just gotten a lot more creative because of it. And you. Thanks. xoxox.

1:03 PM  
Blogger fishy said...

Quite the journey, and a pretty good begining to a blog based novel to continue the Freya and Rotty adventures. Obviously the illustrations will be stellar.

New post at the Pond, come on by.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Love those deep waters.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's too late for me to pull this trickery but I love the fact they all thought you were a guy. I would have done something like fool everyone into thinking I was a mommy blogger.

Hey is that a European chick writing by candlelight?

2:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh and if you didn;t get my email. THANK YOU.

2:46 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

that was during my schaumi days. there really were comments of yours that i paused over:
such as your statement encouraging me to get at studio: "if mama ain't happy, nobody is happy". heck, i've lived with a man in the house for 26 years. he's NEVER made that statement .. lol ..

and there were other statements ..
that were so right. so much what a woman would want to hear (in a supportive way, not sexual)and it turns out they were made by a woman .. ;)

and, yes, there is /t.
very generous with his art. .... but, at the time i was not blogging with /t. although i did see his comments around.

3:00 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

boxer: why? what is scary? i really didnt set out to be a "character" it just happened. honest! i wish i could find my way back to that way of being that was Freya. it was a very productive time. im glad i am a friend of yours or who know what you might do to me in a PNW film! ;-)

squirrel wars. that was fun. took moi all the way to 100 comments. and her friends were flomoxxed/ "what did i do to these squirrels???" grherhahaha

fishy: it was. writing as these characters was an interesting exercise in writing. i had another character too -"dick cheneys sock puppet" that mostly said things that drove libs insane.

gnome: which ones? where are they? grherha

ricardo: i bet you could pull if off. you could be a very bad mom and freak the other mommys out. and, you a very welcome, friend. will do it again soon.

foamy: i know. it was so obvious in retrospect wasnt it? i think i met /t at percy blythe shellys blog. man, i used to torment the heck out of that guy. i think he is "paul" now. but J cosmo newberry is still around!

3:45 PM  
Blogger moi said...

Dang, you're one of the most creative, inspiring people I've ever been lucky ducky to meet.

(P.S. I'm really Heidi Klum.)

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

grrherhaha

we did indeed meet
during the poetry wars,
but don't recall now if it was
on percy's blog or mayden's -- i do remember you telling me i should be duchamp rather than dali (and i agreed) -- also, i voted for your romantic rappery in the war :)

whoa -- you're a girl?!?

hey, thanks for the shout out

× × ×

/t.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

oh no! I cain't read right now--be back in a few hours.

4:52 PM  
Blogger h said...

Interesting. Do you find leftist sheep less of a joke and more of a threat these days?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

scary meaning - you are intensely smart and creative. I should have said "good scary".

6:21 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

moi: thank you! i am ready to be creative again. get through this history and start sparrin' on the problems! oh but where to begin? H1N1? looks like "heiney" doesnt it? as in, "my ass!"

/t: ha! mayden never told me who voted for or agaisnt me. thanks for your vote. i did smoke the hell out of those other pitiful poets. grrerhahahaaha. are you shocked im a girl? not as shocked as i was when i saw you were not in fact salvador. grherhahaha


aunty: well, you were there so this is just a rehash. but it was fun finding that old drawing of you. i like your feet. and the dog -looks like trout a bit.

troll: i do indeed. its endemic in the culture. i think the way to go is with wit and humor and dogged determination, peppered with barks and growls. i do not want to shut the conversation down.

boxer: good to know. i thought: does she think i am actually "nephew?" grrrrrherhahaha

6:32 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

heh.

I wish't I'd seen Q see ya that first time. Oh dawgy.

But, while keepin' some mystery afoot, I can say thar is still some craftin' of characters goin' on in this history--hoowwwwwl!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Doom said...

Now, this blogging of yours is quite the thing. In spite of not meaning to lie about anything, you accepted the 'common thought' and let them run with it. Which, I suppose, is a great deal of the reason I do not go with the flow or believe in group thinking.

It sounds like a wonderful time, had by most. I am quite curious about whether the reaction to some of the web loves, and detractors, when the truth became known. I'll have to look at comments from the last post, more seem to have been added. How did that work with those you had won over, on the basis of your perceived race and gender? Maybe it all blended fine, but I have to think there were some hard feelings, in both directions from both proponents and opponents.

What a gas!

11:42 PM  
Blogger the walking man said...

Male or female makes little difference when the teeth sink in and the shaking commences.

3:46 AM  
Blogger dianne said...

Gosh you are creative, well I knew that already, all of this just confirms it.
So is K9 a girl now or still a male?
I would have loved to seen the expression on Q's face when he first saw that were actually a really beautiful woman and not a male.
I don't care what persona you take on I'm just happy that you are my good friend. xo ♡

5:21 AM  
Blogger dianne said...

Sorry about the missing words in my sentence, its been a long day, in fact a long week. ♡

5:22 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

aunty: are you talking about "she"? grherhhahaha you know that Q, he really was an undercover kinda guy. not sure how, but he was.

doom: there were some hard feelings. it went down in aunty's yard i believe...im going to search for it. a major discussion of identity. in the end the point i made was whoever i was, my efforts were sincere. the attention that i put on, in particular the muse of the poetry duel, was absolutely real. and we have remained friends even meeting and vacationing together.

walking man: well said.

dianne: well, K9 is kind of me now. in the beginning he had a voice - his commentary was very brief and he was far more gruff. but this K9 is the one i returned to after being "she" remember her? the roman bronze wolf? anyway, i missed the old dogs avatar. isnt that funny? to be attached to a picture like that? K9 will always be your protector

5:30 AM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Yeah--mah feet, wif' jes' four toes. How's I supposed to run?

But I has an idea...heh...new blog post comin'.

6:55 AM  
Blogger h said...

I've concurred with your conclusion concerning the Culinary Throwdown Challenge. The fire truck put her over-the-top of Donna's considerable asset portfolio.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

I'll save my comment about how I felt when you "revealed" yourself for the next post...but needless to say the friendship was genuine, all the way through- on both sides.
Foamy was right- and in the end it made perfect sense (w comments like, ""the best art is a specific vision that pings the universal inside the viewer"...) you had to be a woman :)
I've been a good keeper of secrets since the duel- quite a few things were revealed to me that would have (and might still) shock a few readers- lol. As a Mayden, I of course treasure those secrets- just as I do the frienships created here.
However, with all that said- I miss J Cosmo Newberry. If he and I had gone on a vacation together there would have been quite a scandal ;) (perhaps I should go look him up now! lol!!!)

11:03 AM  
Anonymous pam said...

I am totally loving this story and realizing how far back some of this group goes ... very fun. I totally love the (mostly) intelligent writing that goes on in blog-world. Definitely a creative community of people, be they (horrors) mommy bloggers, political or whatever ... And the "thinking for yourself" required by my dad in our house growing up isn't missing in this environment. Cheers to you and K9 and all the clever deception!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Buzz Kill said...

It's all I can do to be myself let alone multiple blog personalities. You're the Sybil of blogger.com - in a good way.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Ruela said...

you are a woman?

oh COOL!

;)

4:01 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

nah .. when it became known that you were definitely a woman, i remember thinking about it for a bit ... like a few seconds .....
and then i decided that it really didn't matter if you were male or female ..... k9 was k9 .....
chickory is chickory .....

and nephew .....

well, never mind about nephew .... bless his heart ....

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah hurd dat
&
know whar ya lives

6:47 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

like i said ..
bless his wee heart ..
he doesn't even have a mullet ..

7:51 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

(1) This is actually fascinating to me, not only because I kinow all of the players, but because I did wonder about the male persona. I can certainly understand doing it, or what one might learn from it.

It's also of interest to me because I've been blogging with you for three years. We rarely see eye-to-eye, and won't But you're often thoughtful, and your talent shines. And it is nice to know a bit more about someone who's on your mind--kinda like my equivalent of watching television bios of celebrities.

(3) The poetry duel was the most fun I ever had blogging. I'm looking forward to reading that post.

8:43 PM  
Blogger dianne said...

Thanks K9 I have always thought of you as 'she', my protector and I can understand you becoming attached to your avatar.
I am attached to mine mainly because I created her, she was a mix of many of my colours and attributes and I painted her when times were much happier for me. xo ♡

1:09 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

aunty: oh. i thought there was an accident at the pork rind packaging plant ;-)

troll: good. boxer makes entertaining movies and on that merit deserved to win. although donna and her sausage made me laugh

mayden: i think i know one of those secrets! i dont know how i came to your blog -i met you and x-dell on that day - but it was meant to be. you needed a rottweiler at that time, and i needed a muse. i loved you from the get-go. i see j cosmo newberry at diannes all the time. i need to make sure he comments on the next post.

pinging the universal!!! theres a goal for ya. grherha

pam: thank you. blogging can be so much more than mere socializing. i think often the conversation is better because everyone has time to think about what they say -and theres no interrupting so everyone can get there ideas out with equal time. and the art part of it! ive seen just amazing work -movies, photographs, paintings, code poetry....just great stuff through bloggin'.

buzz-kill: now i am down to just two! and they are both me now -the two mes. ;-)

ruela!! there you are. no no no. i am a rottwiler!!! c' mon, now. grrrrrhahaha

foamy: thank you! you are a keeper girl. and it doesnt matter to me that you are female brew -youre foamy and light and delightful.

nephew! what are you doing in here? shouldnt you be out scaring city people hiking? i know you know where i live -did you know i installed cctv? oh yes. beams images back to the ATL every 30 seconds. grrrrrrhahahahaha

xdell: as a kind of performance art, it was very instructive and exhilirating. it had to have been similar to writing a novel or for a screenplay -maintaining a characters voice...id write something and then take it off thinking "K9 would never say that"

the very beginning of K9 he spoke in short sentances...i tried to talk like i though a dog would

example when vanille tagged me with a blog meme K9 said

" i cannot do the tag"

no explanations. that was the better dog.

i bet we agree on more than you think. but i appreciate your kind words.

the duel was the most fun. and it cant be gotten back to or willit happen again. it was very organic in its evolution and i think it brought out the best in everybody. cant wait to have your commentary on the next post.

dianne: i like your avatar a lot. reminds me a bit of a milton avery.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Reverend X said...

K9,
Question.. and it ain't in any way related to this post.. I think..

Do remember the anti-islam cartoonist? WTF ever happened to that one trick pony?

I was doing a memory lane of hostile argumentative types and he drifted up through the haze... but I can't remember his name or his blog.... Sad, cuz I don't even smoke weed..

3:30 AM  
Anonymous k9 said...

revvy: are you talking about helly? (hell-pig?)

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home