12.08.2010

MCW: Best Detective Movie

"I want more life, f*cker"

Made in 1982 and set in LA circa 2019 (nope! way too early, Ridley), Detective (Blade Runner) Decker (played by Harrison Ford) hunts a renegade band of Replicants who have escaped an off-world slave camp to return to earth and find their creator, Terrell, to reverse the programing that has their android DNA shut down before they are ready:



Classic Frankenstein set up: Creator destroyed by the Creature. Like many detective movies, our hero's journey is to not only solve a mystery, but to find humanity in himself and in his quarry. Stylishly dark, this is a favorite of mine because it has parallels for the now; the folly of GMO and hybridization of species; the dehumanizing effect of an over-technological world; virtual replacing actual; and isolation in a crowded world.

But the best thing about it is how it looks. It's pre-CGI; which gives it the lush and plausible look that you dont see in say, an Avatar-like movie. It's not too slick which is perfect for visualizing a messy future.

Happy MCW!!



********************************

Movie Clip Wednesday is a game that is open to all. To Play, visit Milk RIver Madman to find each week's assignment, then post your entry by wednesday.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Mr Q said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Mr Q said...

Bling, bling, bling. I hear bells.
Is it christmas belles?
Is it the stock exchance?
Is it saved by the belle?
No, it's the belles from the Dog Pound Truck. Rotty Run!

7:19 AM  
Blogger moi said...

One of the most darkly beautiful visions of a dystopic future ever filmed. One that always seems just slightly . . . out . . . of . . . reach. But looming as inevitable.

Everything was better pre-CGI. Full fat rather than all this watered down skim.

And on that note: Happy Movie Clip Monday to ya!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Milk River Madman said...

Agree with Moi. Movies have lost there way artistically and the message these days is always the same. "Political Correctness Good: America Bad"

Happy MCW

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked the movie. Loved your analysis.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I need to revisit this one with MY mature eyes. It came out when I was 12 and I missed it completely. Also missed it when it was re-released over the years and because I thought it more Sci-Fi, didn't try hard to see it. I like your analogy about current times. Happy MCW!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

Good morning K9,

Way too early is right. I would love to have that car.

Happy clip day!

How was your flight?

8:39 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Never saw this one, and I don't do sci-fi futuristic movies either, so doubt I will. But if you love it, I am sure it is a great movie! Hope you are well. Did you ever report in on how your trip went?

9:41 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Blade Runner is a fascinating movie, based on an excellent story (Phill Dick, if memory serves). I go more for narrative than visuals, but it did have that Shelleyesque theme about it (you remind me of the novel, towards the end when Victor is chasing Adam all over creation).

The shirt below: you, or your friend might get away with wearing it. I can imagine myself wearing it at a checkpoint and getting arrested. More power to you, though.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Heff said...

Yeah, that's a good one.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Buzz Kill said...

I'm with Boxer, it's been forever since I saw this movie. A very young Rutger Hauer and a very nimble Daryl Hannah. The only thing I didn't like about this movie is that it was always raining.

And I liked Moi's sentiments alot.

Happy MCW!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6975d4yorOs&feature=player_embedded

3:03 AM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

I like the updated version where he hunts down the evil replicant Calista Flockhart.

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home