3.14.2011

Haiku Monday: Pulchritude

pulchritude. well, I had to look it up. Still not clear how to pronounce it. It means physical beauty and it is particularly used addressing the physical beauty of women.

now what.

I remember in one of Master Basho's lessons that it was better to NOT state the word that the haiku is about but instead address it by illustrating it with a time and place that can be understood and vicariously experienced by the reader. and if it indicates a certain season (without saying so) then so much the better.

If i am in error, I expect that Basho's earthly rep will correct me.



He flashed brightly
his scarlet and jet splendor
courting muted She

*****************************************************************

Haiku Thursday is a weekly multi-participant game that anyone can play. Visit the Haiku Host to find the topic for the week, then post your haiku on your blog, and let the Haiku Host know that you are up. The Badge of Great Honor will be awarded and the winner may display that badge on his/her blog.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

love it .. but then i love all that i've read so far .. grrrherhahaha.

yeah, i've read that the word is often used in association with women, but i'm focusing on the 'physical' beauty part of it. i did come across a pulchritude boulder which is located in big sur, ca. someplace when i was researching the word a bit more.

1:29 PM  
Blogger fishy said...

Fabulous.
I've often wondered in the bird world just why it is the males have the show off plumage.

Love the Asian subtlety of this.

1:34 PM  
Blogger LẌ said...

This is wonderful!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I changed mine because of your input, but I'm still off because I picked a male, not female. Too bad I didn't watch Gone With the Wind this weekend.

I was hoping you'd pick a bird because your love for them always inspires beautiful words.

(I had to look up the word too.)

Happy Haiku Monday!

3:30 PM  
Blogger dianne said...

Your Haiku is beautiful and I love the image you have chosen to accompany it.

My Haiku is over at Foamy's and is very ordinary.

xoxoxo ♡

3:59 PM  
Blogger moi said...

Is that a juvenile cardinal? Beautiful birdy. You did him exceptional justice :o)

5:14 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

moi: wait no. i thought that was a female cardinal. but maybe it is a juvenile male. hell i typed in female cardinal into google images. damn NSA stoooooges. grhahaha

dianne: ordinary poetry from you? no way. im on my way over to see. so glad you are playing!

boxer: oh i wish you hadnt have changed it! I was just messing with ya....after it was made clear that pulchritude was about female beauty. I do love birds. i added more feeders at Chickory. for woodpeckers.

xl: you are TOO kind, suh. thank mayne.

fishy: i thought it was kinda asian too! You know why! men have to attract the females with their plumage. lucky birds dont have to buy mid life porsches.

foamer: yeah. you have a hard job ahead with the judging. I like them all too. what does that rock look like? a lady?

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Master Basho's Ghost said...

Yes, you were correct about the elements of good haiku with your prose. And went beyond merely correct to beautiful with your poetry.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I appreciated the input - you can mess with my haikus anytime you want.

8:59 PM  
Blogger dianne said...

Whether it is a junior male or female cardinal it is rather beautiful and flashy with that lovely plumage on its head.

xoxoxo ♡

5:06 AM  
Blogger Buzz Kill said...

I really like the "courting muted She" line a lot. And I always thought the brownish cardinals were the females. I haven't seen any yet this year at the feeder, but it's still probably too cold for them.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home