3.02.2011

MCW: Best Political Thriller(s)

My Top Five:


#5: Shooter: Marky Mark is an ex sniper who lives up in the mountains trying to have a chill life when Danny Glover and some other heavies show up and ask him to figure out how to stop an assassination. But its a set-up that frames him as the assassin. What follows is a nice cat and mouse routine, some delightful conspiracy theories, and a satisfying payoff at the end. Micheal Pena plays a bewildered FBI novice to perfection.






#4: Enemy of the State: Jon Voight is the head of the NSA who wastes a senator that wont vote to pass an oppressive security bill. Wildlife photographer catches it on film; it ends up in labor lawyer Will Smith's Victoria Secret bag and an epic chase ensues. The way that NSA technology is used to track and thwart him is a lot of fun. Neat interweaving of Mafia interests too. Gene Hackman stars as an ex spook who knows the score. Lots of fun.

#3: The Lives of Others: A good look at the Stasi in East Germany and what being a tool of an oppressive State requires of a man. In German, with subtitles.





#2: Hunt for Red October: cat and mouse game with subs. Sean Connery wants to defect. Or does he? Jack Ryan helps out. Its a good movie -very hollywood and fairy-tale like, but still. Chock full of great male actors; of course. Theres no wimmen on subs! (are there?)



#1: Salvador: a long time ago, Oliver Stone was an upstart guerilla director with a righteous point of view. Salvador is the very best of him. James Woods and Jim Belushi drive to Salavador in order to get great footage and story to salvage Woods' dying freelance career. It starts off as a alcohol and drug fueled road trip until our boys find out that inserting themselves between leftist rebels and military dictators can get real ugly real fast. John Savage, who is a very cool actor, plays a photojournalist with a much greater understanding of how things are.


I know, I phoned this one in. No clips today. Very Busy.


Happy MCW everyone!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw "Hunt" and enjoyed it. Didja know Tom Clancy was once interrogated by the Fibs? They thought he was getting secret details from a Defense Contractor or a Pentagon official. He claimed that he got it from publications like "Jane's Defense".

I didn't phone mine in. I typed 4 letters!

Grrherahahahahahahaha!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Heh--Dawgy, this is the SECOND week in a row ya' ain't played by the rules! Who said ya could pick 5??

Well... at least they's all stellar.

The Lives of Others--man-oh-man.

Admit I ain't seen Salvador. Will amend that soon.

I suspect we could write us our own poli-thriller, Pup, wif' all we has tucked away in files. (wink wink)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Buzz Kill said...

I have seen all of these except The Lives of Others. I almost di Hunt for Red October but didn't think it political enough (and I thought Karl would do it). I just saw Shooter a couple of months back and it was really good. A lot like Sniper but more political.

Gene Hackman and Will Smith in Enemy of the State was surprisingly good.

Happy MCW!

9:27 AM  
Blogger moi said...

Seem 'em all. (I'm a pohleetikal thriller junkie :o) ) I don't usually like Marky Mark, but I liked him in Shooter (which also happens to be one of S.B.'s favorite movies) and you are so right about the ending being most satisfying. Offing a politician? I'm so there! Happy MCW!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

You did NOT phone this one in. It's a great list, with photos too. I think MCW is just as good without videos, especially with YouTube disabling more and more.

Thanks for playing and I enjoyed the write ups and have added a few movies to my growing list.

Happy MCW!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

Good afternoon K9,

Interesting take on the topic. I've only seen Hunt for Red October and Salvador.

I nearly used Hunt, but it's in color. You'd be surprised how many women were aboard submarines at the time that film was made, most of them contract technicians, not actual members of the crew. They didn't stay on board long. There are now women serving aboard submarines.

Happy clip day!

2:28 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

loved salvador, really, really loved hunt for red october. i almost used hunt for red october but figured i'd jinx with somebody ..

4:54 PM  
Blogger dianne said...

I really enjoyed Hunt for Red October, I have not seen the other films.

Happy MCW! xoxoxo ♡

1:44 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I can think of some others, but those are interesting--what I would call--X. Dell movies.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home